Begin by reading the below paragraph:
Graduating from high school is the most effective way a person can make the world a better place. For example, increasing high school graduation rates leads to a better paid, more intelligent workforce. A 2006, nation-wide survey found an estimated 90 percent of Canadians agreed that a highly skilled and educated workforce was the single most important thing Canada needs to ensure our country’s economic future. Acquiring a high school diploma also increases a person’s opportunity to obtain a higher paying job. A 2010 North American study, found that young adults with their high school diploma on average earned almost $10,000 more annually than young adults without their high school diploma. Furthermore, young adults with their university degree and/or college diploma earned more than double than young adults without a high school degree. This evidence is among the many reasons why graduating from high school leads to a superior world.
Purpose of Supporting Paragraphs:
- To provide relevant evidence (specifically data and expert opinions) to help persuade readers to agree with your thesis statement.
- To remind readers of your thesis statement.
Note: While writing each of the THREE supporting paragraphs in a persuasive essay, you will follow these steps:
1) Begin each paragraph by restating your thesis. You should try to reword your thesis each time, so that your essay isn’t too repetitive.
2) After that, you will immediately write a sentence stating the supporting reason you are addressing in the paragraph.
3) Next, you will defend your reason by providing supporting evidence. You will be using statistics/data and expert opinions (e.g., numbers and opinions that come from research). You may use primary and secondary data as supporting evidence. During this assignment, you will be using footnotes and hyperlinks show where you obtained your supporting evidence.
Key Transition Words: According to…/ To quote…/ …., says (insert source of information here)
4) After providing a MINIMUM OF TWO pieces of supporting evidence, you will restate your thesis at the end of each supporting paragraph.